A low carbon austenitic stainless steel with exceptional strength and toughness at high temperatures is grade 904L (UNS N08904) pipe. The Stainless Steel 904L Pipes more outstanding composition improves resistance to strong reducing acids like sulfuric acid and offers good resistance to sensitization during welding.
What are 904L Stainless Steel Pipes?
• Stainless Steel 904L is an austenitic stainless steel grade that is highly alloyed, has little carbon, and is not stabilized. The alloy of Stainless Steel 904L Pipes contains copper. So, sulfuric acid is resistant to reducing acids. Because of the decreased carbon content, it is simpler to manufacture the AISI 904L Welded Pipe by ASTM A312 requirements. UNS N08904 Pipes have less carbon yet they can be used in high temperature applications.
• The ASME SA 312 TP904L alloy has nickel added, which enables the tube to operate very well even in over-ground applications. The stainless steel 904L pipe demonstrates good resistance to stress-related corrosion cracking and is a non-magnetic alloy.
• The alloy’s molybdenum content lessens the possibility of crack corrosion. The main applications for ASTM A312 TP904L are general corrosive ones.
• Longitudinal load tests and flatness tests are conducted to establish if the 904L seamless pipe complies with tensile qualities.
Every 904L pipe must be provided in a heat-treated condition, with the appropriate heat treatment temperature and justification for cooling or testing, as per ASTM A312 requirements.
Features of 904L Stainless Steel
1. Stainless Steel 904l has superior corrosion resistance to stainless steels made of chromium and nickel.
2. Protects against assault from acetic, phosphoric, and sulfuric acids
3.Strong resistance to pitting under chloride-based circumstances
4. Controlled cracking and crevice attack due to stress corrosion.
Stainless Steel 904L Applications
• SAE 904L tubes for coal-fired power stations’ scrubbers used in air pollution control.
The primary application for UNS N08904 tubes is in seawater cooling equipment.
• Wiring in electrostatic precipitators can use SS 904L tubes.
WNR 1.4539 tubes are utilized as parts of oil refineries.
• Gas scrubbing plants can also benefit from using AISI 904L tubes.